Top 5 Tips to Keep Your Tyres Well Maintained
As the seasons change, hazardous weather means that you can be at greater risk if your tyres are not kept in top condition.
1. Is your vehicle fitted with the correct tyres? It may sound obvious, but it is important to check your handbook to make sure you have the correct tyres fitted. If you don't have your handbook available, your car dealership should advise you on the correct tyres for your vehicle. Always fit a tyre to the same specifications of the original tyres.
2. Keep your tyres inflated to the legal requirement. Underinflated tyres cause excessive wear and will also increase fuel consumption.
Drivers should check their tyres over regularly, looking for cuts, scratches or bumps to the tyre wall and uneven wear which may have affected the inflation of the tyre.
You should ideally check your tyre pressure when they are cold, your recommended inflation rate will be in your handbook.
3. Home checks – checking your tyres can be done at home, and most problems you can find just by looking at and feeling the tyre. You should look for cracks, bulges, scratches and splits in the tyres.
Objects such as nails and stones can also cause damage if they have pierced or embedded into the tread. Even if you think a nail or stone hasn't done any damage, sometimes a tyre can be damaged without you knowing or being able to see it.
4. Caps – sometimes tyre pressure can be lost through loosely fitted caps that may not have been correctly attached to the valve. By tightening the tap you are ensuring that you won't lose any pressure. Damaged or worn caps should be replaced.
5. Alignment – incorrect wheel alignment can result in rapid uneven tyre wear and can affect the handling and safety of your vehicle. Wheel alignment- set by the manufacturers of your vehicle- provides a comfortable and smooth ride.
These settings can often be affected by excessively worn steering and suspension parts, driving against a curb or hitting a pothole. This is an essential part of keeping your tyres in their best condition; this should be checked regularly by a specialist.
Categories: Marketing and Advertising